START/END DATE: 6/17/2020 - 8/25/2020
The United Way team is paying close attention to the COVID-19 outbreak. AmeriCorps service, including serving at a food bank or meals site, fills a critical need in our community and is considered essential work. This is a community-facing position, and members of our team will be required to serve on-site. In this position, you may have direct contact with other team members and members of the community. United Way is following all guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the Washington State Department of Health regarding social distancing. We are eager to support you in having a safe and impactful AmeriCorps term.
United Way of King County is seeking AmeriCorps COVID-19 HungerCorps members to be a part of a team to end hunger in King County. We are seeking full-time members to be a part of United Way’s Anti-Hunger team, a team that helps families and youth access healthy meals when school isn’t in session.
Access to healthy meals shouldn’t end when school is out. In Washington State, more than 1 in 6 kids struggles with hunger. While free and reduced-priced school meals are a resource for families when school is in session, many children lose access to consistent meals during school breaks. United Way’s Fuel Your Future program connects families with critical food resources, including meals sites, food banks, and public benefits programs like SNAP and WIC. COVID-19 HungerCorps will serve in partnership with food banks, nonprofits, and city governments to ensure that every family in our community has access to healthy food.
YOUR ROLE AND WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
Since the start of the COVID-19 outbreak, food banks and meals sites in our community have stepped up to support low-income families. As a COVID-19 HungerCorps Member, you will be assigned to a food bank or meals site, where you’ll use your skills and experience to support critical anti-hunger work. You will prepare and serve meals, pack boxes of food, engage with community members, and conduct grassroots community outreach to get the word out about available resources. You can expect to deliver meals directly to families’ doors at an apartment complex, serve Grab and Go meals at a park or community center, or distribute groceries to families at a neighborhood food pantry. As part of a federal program, you will ensure that the policies and procedures are followed, meals are accurately counted and inventoried, and food is prepared safely. You will gain experience working directly with the community and in support of a respected and influential nonprofit. Training will be provided in site management, marketing, family engagement, and data tracking – hard skills that will make your summer work influential on your resume.
Full training and certification is provided. Serve in your community with placements in Seattle, Tukwila, Renton, Auburn, East King County, Kent, or Federal Way.
This is a full-time position and you must be available 40 hours a week Monday through Friday.
What we’re looking for:
- Self-starters who are passionate about supporting their community and public service
- Experience working independently in high-energy environments
- Willingness to engage stakeholders and design programs responsive to community need
- Strong verbal communication and outreach to parents, youth and other community members
- Creativity and cultural humility in working with vulnerable populations and community partners
Benefits and Compensation:
- $1,658.72/month stipend (prorated by day during partial service months of June and August)
- $1,311.11 AmeriCorps Education Award (OR a cash stipend of $345.80) after successful completion of the summer
- Public transportation pass to and from your site (ORCA Card)
- Receive your food handler’s permit
- Becoming part of the AmeriCorps Network and a part of a high impact team
- Receive special consideration for United Way’s Fuel Your Future, Financial Empowerment and Benefits Hub and Streets to Home Teams beginning fall of 2019
To Apply: Create an application on My AmeriCorps Portal or click here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=95810&fromSearch=true
- No resume or cover letter is required.
- The application process moves quickly, please expect a response within 1-2 days.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.