START/END DATE: 1/1/2024 - 7/19/2024
Pike Market Food Bank serves the vibrant communities in and around Pike Place Market in Downtown Seattle. We provide no-cost groceries in person and through home delivery services, and also offer no-cook food options for our neighbors without cooking facilities.
Our HungerCorps member will be an integral part of our tight-knit, dedicated team. They will interact directly with food bank clients daily, get to know Pike Place Market by picking up donations from local vendors, and deliver groceries to seniors and others at their homes.
The Food Security HungerCorps team is a dynamic cohort of direct service AmeriCorps members working in partnership with United Way staff, AmeriCorps VISTAs, school districts, and community-based organizations to connect families with the food they need. As a HungerCorps member, you will serve directly with United Way’s Food Security Team or with partner organizations across South King County – school districts, food banks, and community organizations – all who prioritize increasing food security in our community.
MEMBER ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greet clients, offer and pack available groceries according to client choices
- Check clients into online database
- Walk to nearby locations to pick up daily donations
- Deliver groceries to clients’ homes
- Prepare delivery bags
- Help with cleanup, setup, and general operations
- Participate in team-building activities and staff meetings/trainings
Position Length: 12 Months
Benefits & Compensation:
- Bi-weekly stipend of $1,303.70 (pre-tax)
- $7,395 Education Award upon successful completion of service
- Loan deferment and payment of interest accrued during service year on qualified student loans (loans must be federally-backed; personal/private loans not eligible)
- Health benefits that meet the minimum standards of ACA compliance
- Unlimited free transportation with a pre-paid ORCA Card
- Childcare assistance
- 10 days sick leave, 10 days personal leave plus 11 federal holidays
- Enrollment in an assistance program with 24-hour access to phone counseling
- Access to emergency assistance program to mitigate unforeseen financial emergencies that put your continued participation in AmeriCorps service at risk
- Monthly team meetings, high-quality training, professional development, and networking opportunities
- Lifelong friends and colleagues who are passionate about service!
As a member of this cohort, you will be supported with a robust orientation, ongoing professional development opportunities, training, check-ins, and the tools and resources you need to succeed. Members will walk away from their year of service with an understanding of on-the-ground food security work as well as a deep knowledge of anti-hunger strategies, federal meal programs, and increasing food access across the community.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- We believe that the communities we serve must be centered in the work we do. People of color and people with experience accessing food resources are highly encouraged to apply
- Experience working with diverse populations and an ability to apply a racial equity lens towards anti-hunger work
- Ability to build and sustain relationships and effectively communicate information to a broad audience
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to collect and manage confidential client information
- Flexibility to balance the variety of service activities and resourcefulness to quickly solve problems or find solutions for community members
- Second language skill (especially Spanish, Somali, Amharic, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Russian, or Ukrainian) is highly desirable so that we can offer services to families in their preferred or native languages
This is a full-time position and members will serve approximately 40 hours per week for the duration of their service term. Members will frequently move or lift boxes weighing up to 30 pounds. This position will involve service in outdoor weather conditions, and may involve standing, walking, or moving around the service location for up to four hours at a time.
AmeriCorps Program Eligibility:
- Must be over 18 years old on the first day of service
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States. Unfortunately, F1 visas are not sufficient.
- Must be available 40 hours per week through July2024. Exact hours may vary by site placement, but will primarily be Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Must undergo a Washington State Patrol background check, FBI background check and National Sex Offender Registry Check, plus state of residence background check if not currently living in Washington
- Per United Way of King County Policy, AmeriCorps members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the first day of service. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. If you are a selected candidate, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination. Please reach out to email@example.com if you need information on medical or religious accommodation.
Please note that United Way of King County has moved to remote and limited in-person operations. As such, be prepared to participate in interviews remotely and to complete service responsibilities in a hybrid environment (in-person and remote) should we move forward with your candidacy. If technology presents a barrier to applying, interviewing, or accepting the position, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for accommodations.
Additionally, per United Way and public health guidance, all AmeriCorps members must be able to transition from working hybrid to commuting to their site to serve 40 hrs. per week at any time during their service year. Service schedules will be based on your service site’s needs.
To Apply: Create an application on My AmeriCorps Portal or click here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=105666
- No resume or cover letter is required.
- The application process moves quickly, please expect a response within 1-2 days.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions.