Amazing connections at today’s Community Resource Exchange
What a powerful day! We don’t have the official tally of all the goodness that happened at today’s Community Resource Exchange yet, but we wanted to at least share some snippets. Until 2:00 today, more than 500 volunteers came out to CenturyLink Field to serve people who are experiencing homelessness—and people were celebrating throughout the day.
- Tamara has been homeless for six weeks. She’s worked in tech for years, had a mental health setback and found herself unemployed. Last week she connected with a housing provider, but needed to secure a job in order to qualify. Today she interviewed with Amazon and got a warehouse job on the spot!
- Jameka had her hours cut at her seasonal job and has been having trouble staying on top of her rent. Today she met with the United Way Streets to Home team and they were able to provide some rental assistance in order for her to stay in her apartment.
- Crystal and her son Gabriel were there getting pampered. Crystal works part-time at a fast food restaurant that allows her to just make rent, no money for extras. She was getting new shoes, a haircut, clothes for her and her son – and a family portrait. She just completed Urban League’s Career Bridge program where she got certified in forklift operating and flagging—hopeful she’ll land a new job soon.
- Julius, a talented jewelry artist who has been clean and sober for five years, was excited to be greeted with great coffee from Starbucks and a six-pack of socks from the Amazon Treasure Truck.
- Barbara, 72, has been living in her van for five years and was thrilled to get a haircut, new shoes and some dental work.
Thanks to our sponsors like Amazon and Starbucks for making it the best Resource Exchange ever—services were elevated this year and the guests were so appreciative.
Thanks to the more than 100 service providers that gave their time for one-on-one service. The hundreds of volunteers from the likes of sponsor companies Farmers Insurance, Bank of America and Seahawks. And we can’t do any of this without our donors – thank you for powering our work year round.