Free Tax Help & Census 2020

Tax help is available in your neighborhood and in your language from IRS-certified volunteers.

Our tax sites will help you get all the credits you qualify for and file your return electronically, so you’ll get your refund fast.

We can also help you access: 2020 Census Assistance, free financial coaching resources, healthcare, ORCA Lift and other public benefits. Tax site locations will have information and volunteers available to help fill out your Census Questionnaire when it becomes available in March and April.

The best news: No appointment needed and no fees to pay.

Visit one of our 33 locations to get help filing taxes today.

Download our tax flyer:


United Way’s Free Tax Preparation services are offered January 13th — April 18, 2020


United Way is an equal opportunity provider and anyone who earned less than $66,000 in 2019 can use United Way’s Free Tax Preparation services. However, some returns are too complex for our volunteers. For example, we cannot prepare returns for income earned in other states. For details, visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section below.

What to Bring


  • Social Security cards/individual tax identification numbers (ITINs) and birthdates for everyone to be listed on the return
  • Photo ID
  • All tax statements, such as W-2 forms (from all your employers), 1099 forms (interest, dividends, unemployment and self-employment), SSA-1099 forms (Social Security and/or retirement income), etc. For a list of common tax forms, visit our FAQ section below.
  • Health Insurance form – 1095-A

If you are filing jointly with your spouse, you both must be present to e-file.

Note: If you are filing jointly with your spouse, you both must be present to e-file.


  • Bank account number and routing number
  • A copy of last year’s tax return


Continuing this year, legislation requires the IRS to hold refunds of all tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) until February 23. You’ll still want to file early, but know that anyone who benefits from these tax credits may have to wait a bit longer for their return this year.


Am I Eligible For Free Tax Preparation Services?

From January 13th through April 18th, 2020, households that make less than $66,000 can access free tax help and tax preparation of tax year 2019 as well as prior year tax returns for 2018, 2017, and 2016. Some limitations may apply – tax returns that involve business taxes, rental income, or sale of property or stocks, are NOT eligible for this free service. See below for all eligibility requirements.

What Are The Limitations To Services?

We can help most people with their tax returns, but some returns are too complex for our volunteers. Here are services we do NOT provide:

  • State returns (Washington state does not have any state income tax, so no return is necessary.
  • If you worked in a state that requires a state return, you can use to file free.)
  • If you have a 1099-B (proceeds from a brokerage, if you bought/sold stock)
  • If you sold your home or if it went into foreclosure
  • If you received rental income
  • If you are a non-resident alien who needs to complete a 1040NR form and are not currently here on a J, Q, F or M visa.
  • If you are self-employed and had expenses above $25,000, had a net loss, or want to deduct the use of your home as a business expense.
  • If you are a registered domestic partnership (This is not the same as a same-sex marriage. We can file those returns.)

What is the new Scan and Go Tax Prep Service?

New in 2020! Scan and Go Tax Prep is now available at the three locations, where you can simply have your tax documents scanned into a secure system so that a certified volunteer can prepare your tax return. Once finished, you’ll be notified and may return to the original location to review and pick up a copy of the completed tax return. It’s easy, convenient and secure.

  • Shoreline Community College | Tues 3pm – 7pm, Wed 10am -1pm, Thurs 3pm – 7pm
  • Bellevue College | Tues, Wed & Thurs 10am – 2pm
  • South Seattle College | Tues, Wed & Thurs 12pm – 4pm

Is tax help available for Foreign Students and Scholars (1040NR)?

If you are an international student or scholar on a J,Q, F or M Visa, you may be eligible for tax help at the following location:

  • University of Washington, Seattle Campus (In-Person Tax Prep).
    Operating hours: Mondays & Wednesdays, 4pm – 8pm
    Fridays, 12pm – 4pm

Do I Need To Make An Appointment?

No. Walk-ins are welcome! All 33 of our sites operate on a drop-in basis and no appointments are set. Many sites get very crowded, especially during February and April, and you should arrive as close to the site’s opening time as possible for the best chance of getting served.

Note: Tax takes time so come early. The last client will be seen 45 minutes prior to closing. Those who arrive later may not be able to see a volunteer.

What If I Want To File For Free On My Own?

If you’d prefer to file online on your own, visit The website is free for those who made less than $66,000 in 2019.

What Should I Bring?


  • Social Security cards/individual tax identification numbers (ITINs) and birthdates for everyone to be listed on the return
  • Photo ID (for taxpayer and spouse, if applicable)
  • All tax statements, such as W-2 forms (from all your employers), 1099 forms (interest, dividends, unemployment), SSA-1099 forms (Social Security and/or retirement income), etc.
  • Health Insurance from the Marketplace ( or – 1095-A

Note: If you are filing jointly with your spouse, you both must be present to e-file.


  • Bank account number and routing number
  • A copy of last year’s tax return
  • Additional Tax Information/Forms

Depending upon your situation, you might need to bring the following types of information:

  • If you worked and/or received unemployment: W-2, 1099 (1099-MISC, 1099-G, etc.)
  • If you were on Social Security or if you received retirement income: SSA-1099, 1099-R
  • If you had savings accounts, mutual funds, etc.: 1099-INT, 1099-DIV
  • If you had any other forms of income: W-2G (for gambling winnings), documentation of income
  • If you paid for health care through the marketplace ( or 1095A
  • If you paid for childcare: name, address and tax identification number of the childcare provider
  • If you paid student loans: 1098-E
  • If you attended a higher-education institution: 1098-T, documentation of tuition
  • If you owned a home: 1098, documentation of mortgage interest and property taxes paid
  • If you owned your own business: documentation of business income, business expenses and mileage logs

Not Eligible For A Social Security Number?

Our site managers and volunteers can help you apply for an individual tax identification number (ITINs).

What If I Lost My Social Security Card?

Social Security Cards or ITINs for everyone on the tax return is required to receive service. You can visit the Social Security website for details on how to receive a replacement. An official letter from the Social Security Administration is an acceptable alternative if your Social Security Card isn’t available.

I Filed My Taxes Through United Way But I Haven’t Received My Refund Yet.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and confusion. Here’s how to resolve this:

  • Visit Where’s My Refund? ‎on and/or the IRS2Go mobile app and see if the IRS has received your return. If so, call the IRS to resolve your issue.
  • If the Where’s My Refund website doesn’t find your return and it’s before April 18, call your tax preparation site (the phone number is on the “Next Steps” document you received at the end of your time at the site.)
  • If it’s after April 18, email with your name, phone number, and the site where you filed.

I Lost My Copy Of The Tax Return. What Should I Do?

If you filed your tax return with us in 2020 at one of our tax site locations, we can provide you with a copy of your tax return. Please email with your name, phone number, and site where you filed.

If you filed with us in 2018 or 2019, we are able to print you a copy of your tax return, be sure to bring your photo ID and social security card and ITIN letter.

If you filed with us before 2017 (2016, 2015, 2014, etc.) we no longer have access to your return because of an IRS software change. To get a copy of your return, you can visit to request a copy of a prior year return online or by mail.

How Do I Renew My ITIN?

Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers may need renewal this year. Those who have not used their ITIN on a federal tax return for in the last three years will have to renew their ITIN. ITINs with a in the middle of 83, 84, 85, 86 or 87 will expire this year and need to be renewed. Additionally, ITINs with 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 81, or 82 expired last year and will need to be renewed if you haven’t already. Certain refunds and tax credits will be delayed when filing a tax return using an expired ITIN.

Visit any of our 33 tax sites to get help preparing the paperwork for ITIN renewal. For additional information, please visit the IRS website

To process your ITIN Application or Renewal there are several options:

Certified Acceptance Agents are available at our El Centro De La Raza – Beacon Hill tax location to help certify original documents and help process applications and renewals. See the map above for location details and shift times.

Other options include:

By mail. Mail Form W-7, proof of identity and foreign status documents to:

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

In-person. Call 844.545.5640 to make an appointment at a designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. This also prevents you from having to mail in your original identification documents.

Seattle Office:
915 Second Ave.
Seattle, WA 98174
M-F: 8:30am–4:30pm


Tacoma Office:
1201 Pacific Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98402
M-F: 8:30am–4:30pm

Need More Help?

Want To Tell A Friend?

Just tell them to visit this website:

I’m interested in volunteering with the Free Tax Preparation Campaign next year

We would love to have you as a part of the team! You can still sign up for the 2020 Free Tax Preparation Campaign by visiting or emailing us at

I’m Interested In Outreach Materials

If you’re interested in helping distribute campaign materials and fliers to help get the word out about the program, you can request materials here:

You can also download outreach materials in the following languages:

Get Involved

Thanks to our generous sponsors: