START/END DATE: 9/13/2021 - 8/26/2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 09/07/2021 (apply ASAP – applicants reviewed and hired on a rolling basis)
START/END DATE: 9/13/2021 – 08/26/2022
Along with other benefits below, we are now offering an extra $1000 BONUS stipend with successful completion of service!
United Way of King County’s Financial Stability Team is seeking three dynamic professionals to serve as Financial Empowerment AmeriCorps Members on one of the largest anti-poverty programs in Washington State – the Free Tax Preparation Campaign.
Note on COVID-19: Please note that United Way of King County has moved to remote operations and will reopen pending public health guidance. As such, be prepared to partake remotely in interviews, training, and other service responsibilities should we move forward with your candidacy. If technology presents a barrier to applying, interviewing, or accepting the position, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should we move forward with your candidacy, members will start their AmeriCorps service primarily working remotely. Per United Way and public health guidance, all AmeriCorps members must be able to transition from working remotely to commuting to their site daily at any time during their service year.
Prior to United Way’s reopening, this position may require in-person service. United Way is following all guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the Washington State Department of Health regarding social distancing and safety measures. We are eager to support you in having a safe and impactful service term!
United Way of King County’s Financial Stability Team is seeking three dynamic professionals to serve as Financial Empowerment AmeriCorps Members on one of the largest anti-poverty programs in Washington State – the Free Tax Preparation Campaign. The Free Tax Preparation Campaign is a community-driven effort to provide free tax help to low- and moderate-income households in King County, WA. We know there are powerful anti-poverty tax credits – like the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Education Credits – written into the tax code that provide critical economic stability, reduce racial wealth disparities, and increase public health outcomes, particularly for communities of color. However, each year many millions of dollars go left unclaimed by eligible taxpayers due to the complex nature of our tax code.
Also worth mentioning is the extreme high cost of tax preparation in Washington State. Many individuals and families in our community are paying upwards of $300 to $400 to have their taxes prepared. Additionally, with the onset of COVID-19, economic instability has been further exacerbated for many in our region.
The Free Tax Preparation Campaign seeks to address these problems and more, by providing free, high-quality tax preparation services, at absolutely no cost to the community. Each year, across over 30 tax sites, this campaign helped over 20,000 households, brought over $30 million back to the community in tax credits and refunds and over 3,500 direct referrals to an additional asset-building service, such as utility assistance, Basic Food assistance, low cost transit, and free financial coaching.
First and foremost, as a Free Tax Preparation Campaign AmeriCorps Member, you will be leader. You will gain first-class experience leading your teams and pushing your assigned projects within the campaign. Leading successful teams will take strong levels of self-awareness, communication, emotional intelligence, and resiliency. Additionally, this is an exceptional opportunity where you will gain a mix of tax and personal finance expertise, direct service experience, and programmatic professional skills. You will also receive exclusive access to community leaders and advance training.
This position is broken down into two core components. The first component is receiving detailed training on tax law, financial coaching, and financial aid navigation. You will manage one of five geographical tax regions that consist of tax sites and seasoned site managers. Additionally, during the tax season members will also assist in facilitating alternative models of tax service to increase access of hard-to-reach populations.
Secondly, you will be working in one or more of the following roles based off your skills, interest, and the needs of your community.
1: Executing on grassroots and high-level volunteer recruitment strategies to recruit and train over 900 volunteers.
2: Implementation of surveys to gather valuable insights regarding clients to help current and future operations of the campaign.
3: Managing the virtual tax preparation platform overseeing operations, liaisoning with Site Managers and volunteers.
4: Facilitating financial empowerment workshops on community and technical college campuses and maintaining post-season tax preparation services.
As a member of this elite community team, the Free Tax Preparation Campaign AmeriCorps Member will play a key role in reaching our goal of preparing 20,000 tax returns and drawing down over $30 million in tax credits and refunds back to our community.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Fearless critical thinker
• Passionate believer in social justice, economic justice, and community building
• Seeks autonomy and leadership
• Can work independently as well as on a team
• Ability to be adaptable and work with a variety of moving pieces
• Eager to learn technical skills and empower others with this knowledge
• People-oriented, with exceptional communication and relationship-building skills
• Ability to speak a second language is helpful, but not required
• Access to a car (highly suggested, but not required)
• No tax preparation experience or financial background is required – we will train you!
Compensation and Benefits
- Monthly living allowance of $2,375 (pretax), paid bi-weekly
- $6,345.00 Education Award upon successful completion of service
Loan deferment and payment of interest accrued during service year on qualified student loans (loans must be federally-backed; personal/private loans not eligible)
- Noncompetitive eligibility for federal jobs for up to one year after completing service
- Health benefits that meet the minimum standards of ACA compliance
- Unlimited free transportation with a pre-paid ORCA Card
- Childcare assistance
- 10 days sick leave, 10 days personal leave, 9 federal holidays
- Enrollment in an assistance program with 24-hour access to phone counseling
- Professional work experience: learning a variety of disciplines by working with professionals and clients in the field
- Monthly team meetings, high-quality training, professional development, and networking opportunities
- Lifelong friends and colleagues who are passionate about service!
AmeriCorps is a federally funded program with federal eligibility requirements:
• Must complete create a profile in the My AmeriCorps portal before interviewing (follow the link below)
• Must provide two professional references. Friends and family will not be considered as references.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States – unfortunately F-1 VISAs are not sufficient for this program.
• Availability to work onsite, fulltime 40 hours per week (Monday-Friday) from September 2019 to July of 2020 and complete 1700 service hours
• Must live in, or be willing to move to, the area where you will serve. For our program, we require members to live within a 30-minute drive or 60 minute transit commute of their host program.
• AmeriCorps members are federally stipended and may work with vulnerable populations. For this reason, all AmeriCorps members go through an FBI, National Sex Offender Registry or Washington State Patrol background check. Please be prepared to disclose any past criminal history in your My AmeriCorps application.
Create an application on My AmeriCorps Portal or click Apply Now on this page
*No resume or cover letter is required.
To Apply: Create an application on My AmeriCorps Portal or click here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=81902
- No resume or cover letter is required.
- The application process moves quickly, please expect a response within 1-2 days.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions.