“Best day ever!” – Community Resource Exchange
For Bob, the list of things to be thankful for when we met him at yesterday’s Community Resource Exchange was long:
- Getting cheered on as he came through the doors – “I love these people.”
- Brand new shoes from Brooks Running – “What’s not to love?!”
- A professional portrait to hang up in their temporary apartment – “Look how happy we are!”
- New treatment so he can move from wheelchair-bound to bouncy – “Trust me. Next time you see me, I’ll be walking!”
- Turning 60 the next day – “Can you believe I’m going to be 60?!”
Bob is a retired drill sergeant who worked years as a granite and marble worker. About three years ago, a routine doctor’s visit revealed some bad news and in about two months’ time, he became wheelchair-bound. It may have slowed him down physically, but it certainly hasn’t dampened his spirits.
With the loss of his job, he’s struggled with homelessness off and on. He’s currently running a day program for men facing the same struggles. And, who better than Bob to cheer them on?
He’s about to start some new treatments – and his goal is to be up and walking by next year’s Community Resource Exchange.
Thanks to the 500 volunteers that came out yesterday to #JoinTheExchange and make all the Bob’s in our community feel special for the day – even if it wasn’t their birthday!