Safe, secure, easy and free tax help.
Keep more of your hard-earned dollars and get free help filing your 2020 taxes.
From Jan. 20–Apr. 18, 2021, trained and IRS-certified tax experts will be available to provide safe, secure and 100% online assistance in filing your taxes. Our experts know all the new tax laws and available credits, including those in the new relief bill, so that they can maximize your return and you can keep more of your money. We can also assist with claiming stimulus check money.
Free tax help is available to everyone, including ITIN holders.
Easy Ways to File Taxes for Free
Have someone help you
Get free tax preparation services virtually. IRS-certified tax experts will work with you and then remotely prepare your tax return and file it electronically for you. A safe, secure portal makes it easy to upload your relevant documents.
File on your own
With MyFreeTaxes.com, you can file your taxes on your own for free. This service will require you to create an account, fill out and file your taxes on your own.
Call for assistance
You can call 2-1-1 to get information and assistance in a number of languages, including help on how to file your taxes for free.
Chat with someone to get help
Our free tax experts are ready to help with any questions you may have. You can start a chat or leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
So that we can best help you with your taxes, here are a few things you will need as well as some additional optional, but helpful, documents to gather and have available:
- A photo identification card
- A selfie of yourself holding your photo identification card next to your face
- Social Security Card or ITIN document
- Any income documents (W-2, 1099-R, etc.)
Optional Other Documents to Have Available
- Previous year’s tax return
- Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (1095-A)
- Child Care Statement
- Gambling Winnings Statement
- Tuition Statement
Common MyFreeTaxes.com Questions
What is a Simple Return?
Simple tax returns covered my MyFreeTaxes include: W-2 Income, Limited Income interest, dividend income, student education expenses, unemployment income, student education credits, student loan interest, claiming the standard deduction, Earned Income Tax Credits, Child Tax Credit, and Child and dependent care expenses. A full list of forms included can be found here: MyFreeTaxes.com/Support
What are the limitations to services?
Many returns that are typically in-scope and free at our in-person tax sites, are not all included in the free software, for example, Self-Employment income (1099-MISC), Mortgage Interest, Real Estate Taxes, other Itemized Deductions, Third-Party Payments (1099-K), HSA, and many others. If you have these tax forms, you will have to purchase an upgrade to file with this system. However, you will receive a discount if using MyFreeTaxes.com. A full list of what is included in the free software can be found at MyFreeTaxes.com/Support
What are other free resources that are available for me?
You can explore a few different options:
- Free Virtual Tax Prep with our Tax Experts: Have your taxes prepared virtually by our Free Tax Preparation expert team. Scroll down this page to see more information on the org option.
- Online filing: you can find additional free filing tools via IRS Free File programs. Visit gov/FreeFile for more information and details.
What do I need to file on MyFreeTaxes.com?
You will need:
- An email address to create an account
- Your exact AGI from line 7 on Form 1040 of your 2019 tax return (to verify identity)
- SSN for everyone on the return
- All tax documents
- Bank account and routing number (for direct deposit/debit)
I don’t know my 2019 AGI. What should I do?
You can find it on line 7 of your 2019 return if you still have a copy of your return. If you filed your taxes at a United Way of King County Free Tax Prep location last year, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your phone number so we can provide you with a copy of last year’s return. If you did not file with us last year, IRS.gov/get-transcript can help you retrieve a copy of last year’s tax return.
Can someone support me by phone to assist me as I complete my return, step-by-step?
If you need support or assistance, you can have your tax return completed virtually by our local Free Tax Preparation expert team through our appointment-based system, scroll down this page to see more information on the GetYourRefund.org option.
Can someone with United Way of King County enter my information for me on MyFreeTaxes.com on my behalf?
Unfortunately, United Way of King County will not be able to enter your information and tax documents into MyFreeTaxes.com on your behalf. If you’re interested in having your taxes done virtually by our local Free Tax Preparation expert team through our appointment-based system, scroll down this page to see more information on the GetYourRefund.org option.
Am I eligible for IRS.gov/FreeFile?
Anyone with an income under $72,000 can file for free using the IRS Free File program.
Common GetYourRefund.org Questions
How does GetYourRefund.org work?
GetYourRefund.org provides an easy way to virtually complete your taxes through a few easy steps:
- For free virtual tax preparation, click on “File with GetYourRefund”.
- Create a GetYourRefund profile, answer intake questions and upload photos of your tax documents.
- Schedule an appointment.
- During your appointment:
- You will receive an intake phone call from one of our tax experts.
- One of our tax experts will complete your return.
- You will receive a second phone call from one of our tax experts to review and complete your return.
- Sign your completed return via email.
What are the limitations to the service?
United Way is an equal opportunity provider and anyone in Washington State can access United Way’s Free Tax Preparation services. However, some returns are too complex for our volunteers. For example, we cannot prepare returns for income earned in other states.
We have partnered with Express Credit Union to process returns with ITIN’s and will offer free ITIN applications and renewals through Express Credit Union.
Here are services we do NOT provide:
- State returns (Washington state does not have any state income tax, so no return is necessary. If you worked in a state that requires a state return, you can use com to file it for free).
- If you have a 1099-B (proceeds from a brokerage, if you bought/sold stock).
- If you sold your home or if it went into foreclosure.
- If you received rental income.
- If you are self-employed and had expenses above $25,000, had a net loss, or want to deduct the use of your home as a business expense.
- If you are a registered domestic partnership.
What do you need to file on GetYourRefund.org?
GetYourRefund.org is available for mobile phones, tablets and desktops. We have found most people can complete the questions and get through the intake relatively easily. You will need:
- An email address to create an account
- Photo ID card (and for anyone else on the return)
- A photo of yourself holding your ID card
- Social security or ITIN card (and for anyone else on the return)
- All tax documents
- Bank account and routing number (optional, for direct deposit/debit)
Please note: The IRS, GetYourRefund.org, United Way of King County and national partners have worked together to make significant updates to security practices and requirements for virtual tax preparation.
If I need assistance with GetYourRefund.org, how do I get help?
There is a chat feature on this page where United Way of King County customer support staff will be available to answer questions.
Click the chat icon on this webpage and someone will be able to help you.
What about Economic Impact Payments?
Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for either 2019 or 2018 will automatically receive an economic impact payment of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples and up to $500 for each qualifying child. Some taxpayers who typically do not file returns will need to submit a simple tax return to receive the economic impact payment.
An additional economic impact payment was distributed at the beginning of 2021 for $600 for individuals or $1,200 for married couples and up to $600 for each qualifying child. Mixed-status households now qualify for both Economic Impact Payments.
Visit IRS.gov/EIP the latest updates.
Do you need to update your banking information or check on the status of your Economic Impact Payment? Go to IRS.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
Thank you to our sponsors: