Food Relief during the COVID-19 Crisis.
As many families and individuals in Seattle and King County are increasingly unsure of where their next meal will come from, we are adapting how we work to support them.
Before the pandemic, Fuel Your Future was a series of United Way of King County programs that helped keep families and people financially stable by providing access to nutritious food every day.
Now, as tens of thousands of people have lost wages and jobs, as families and people increasingly face significant food insecurity, we’re adapting how Fuel Your Future helps people get nutritious food every day.
How It’s Evolving to Work
While Fuel Your Future previously focused much of its work around kids having access to healthy, nutritious meals at school and during the summer, we’re using our experience, expertise and community connections to expand the scope of the program to provide food relief for kids, families and individuals throughout King County.
Thanks to donor support through the Community Relief Fund and the generosity of organizations, such as The Safeway Foundation and others, Fuel Your Future is providing food relief in a variety of ways:
- Expanding the City of Seattle’s food voucher program to support thousands of families.
- Partnering with FareStart, Seattle Housing Authority and YMCA to get healthy meals to 3,000 kids.
- Delivering food to up to 200 households a day.
- Supporting food banks with supplies so they can operate safely while staying open and available to those in need.
- Supporting the Backpack Brigade with an additional 1,000 backpacks filled with food being distributed to kids every week.
- Recruiting 100 COVID-19 HungerCorps AmeriCorps members to distribute food across the region this summer.
- Providing technical assistance to schools across Washington, helping get food to 220,000 students per day.
What is clear, every day, is that the need for food relief in Seattle and King County is increasing as many people are affected by the pandemic.
The more money we raise to provide food relief, the more kids, families and people we can help. You can help by donating today.
Successes Before COVID-19
Video credit: Tacoma Public Schools
1,000+ students receive breakfast and after-school supper each day. Our Fuel Your Future AmeriCorps members have been hard at work implementing Breakfast After the Bell and launching after-school supper programs throughout King County—including Showalter Middle School in Tukwila, Olympic Middle School in Auburn and Cedarhurst Elementary in Burien.
561,218 summer meals. Last year we served hundreds of thousands of free meals throughout the county—making it easy for kids to access nutritious food outside of the school year.
With your help, we’ll alleviate poverty for 50,000 families.