Fuel Your Future Feeds Kids
In Washington, 1 in 5 kids is regularly at risk of going hungry. 1 in 5! Federal funds exist to feed these kids, but schools and school districts lack the staff to put those funds to work. We are connecting the dots and keeping those federal dollars from going unused and it’s called the Fuel Your Future Campaign.
- SUMMER MEALS – Free meals and learning activities brought to where kids live and play. Last summer 600,000+ free meals were served up to hungry kids at parks and community centers by our AmeriCorps VISTA team and partners.
- FUEL YOUR FUTURE SCHOOLS – By October, 10 schools in south King County will have 2 AmeriCorps members each that will focus on getting food to kids who need it by:
- Working to lower the stigma of eating at school
- Linking families to food banks, food stamps and other support
- Pinpointing how these schools can feed more students breakfast, lunch and after-school suppers
- Providing nutrition education
- BREAKFAST CHALLENGE – Starting this November we will be encouraging schools and school districts to challenge each other to feed more students. A little competition goes long way to stop rumbling tummies.
Fuel Your Future is going to be a blast and will help keep families stable and cut the number of food-insecure kids by 50%—which is one of our main aims!
In partnership with