START/END DATE: 5/9/2022 - 5/8/2023
**Now Offering $1000 Service Completion Bonus!**
United Way of King County (UWKC) brings caring people together to give, volunteer, and take action to help people in need and solve our community’s toughest challenges. Together, we’re working towards racially just community where people have homes, students graduate, and families are financially stable. United Way of King County is seeking AmeriCorps VISTA members to fight poverty in King County! VISTAs commit to serve full-time for one year at organizations across the county starting Mid-April 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We deploy AmeriCorps VISTAs with partner agencies doing excellent work in the following impact areas: ending homelessness, increasing food security, engaging youth in academic and career pathways, and expanding economic opportunities. We are currently recruiting for VISTA positions for the following organizations:
CLICK ON THE AGENCY NAME TO APPLY ON THE AMERICORPS PORTAL:
|Site||Position Title||Program Description|
|Literacy Source||Outreach & Systems VISTA||Literacy Source provides responsive literacy services, language classes, and citizenship assistance to immigrants and refugees in the Lake City neighborhood of Seattle. The VISTA will work closely with the Program Manager to develop the service of free basic skills education to low-income adults to strengthen the organization’s capacity to support immigrants and refugees.|
|King County Housing Authority||Health & Housing Stability Coordinator VISTA||King County Housing Authority works to provide innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. The VISTA will work with the Program Manager to develop partnerships and relationships with community providers and partners in health, behavioral health, and social support services.|
|FareStart||Food Security & Community Coordinator VISTA||FareStart has been helping people transform their lives through food for 25 years – one person, one job and one community at a time. The VISTA will work closely with the Program Manager to increase the capacity of Food Security & Recovery Program.|
|Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association||Community Engagement & Communications Specialist VISTA||Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association is devoted to social, racial, and environmental justice and provides resources and affordable housing to low-income families in need. VISTA will plan programs in concert with the Housing Asset Manager, create best practice toolkits, organize volunteers, and create a fund-development work plan in concert with the Development Director.|
|YMCA Social Impact Center||Employment Coordinator VISTA||The Y Social Impact Center offers support for youth and young adults through homelessness, foster care, young adult services, and counseling services for all ages in King County. The VISTA will work with the Program Manager to build the capacity of the employment and training program.|
- 18 years of age or older
- U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Availability fulltime 40 hours per week from April 11, 2022 to April 10, 2023
- Must go through background checks
- US citizen, US national, or lawful permanent residents, or persons legally residing in a state. Persons legally residing in a state include (but not limited to) those having the following legal residency classifications: refugee status, asylum or asylee status, temporary protected status, deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status. Unfortunately, F1 Visas are not sufficient.
Commitments, Benefits, and Compensation
- Modest living stipend of approx.. $2,004.24 per month, pre-tax
- Healthcare, life insurance, and childcare benefits, and 24-hour access to counseling services over the phone
- Relocation and travel reimbursement if you’re relocating over 50 miles to serve
- Unlimited ORCA Transportation card
- 10 personal days, 10 sick days, 9 federal holidays
- Eligible to receive Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($6,395.00), or a cash award ($1,800.00) after successful completion of your service year – By law, only AmeriCorps VISTA members who are either U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, or Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens—sometimes referred to as “Lawful Permanent Residents”—are eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Segal Education Award. All other members will receive an end of service cash stipend.
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual repayment on qualified student loans; private loans are not eligible
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment
- Unique cohort experience, including a 3-day orientation, monthly professional development, and one-on-one support from a VISTA Leader.
- A strong ethic of service and commit to anti-poverty work
- Demonstrated interest working with non-profits and/or degree in related field
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent organizational abilities and project and time management skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing workload
- Proficiency with MS office programs including Outlook, Word, & Excel
- Willingness to maintain a strong work ethic in the face of challenges such as living within the means of the VISTA living stipend
- Experience recruiting or managing volunteers, planning events, and/or working with homeless, diverse, or low-income populations
Hunger and poverty disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
To Apply: Create an application on My AmeriCorps Portal or click here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do
- No resume or cover letter is required.
- The application process moves quickly, please expect a response within 1-2 days.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions.